Daniel has been very active in the pursuit of reducing deaths/injuries and property damage due to fire as the owner of DSAL Consultants L.L.C since completing his service as a member of the Houston Fire Department from 1975 to 2002. As a member of the Houston Fire Department, Daniel was selected to serve on many fire chiefs and fire marshal committees from community education initiatives, several advisory boards over the last ten (10) years, to assisting in acquiring the prestigious Fire Department Accreditation Certification making the Houston Fire Department the worlds largest accredited fire department by the Commission On Fire Accreditation International, March 24, 2001.
As of November 2017, Daniel brings 42 years of experience as a city of Houston fire department Firefighter, Captain, EMT, State of Texas certified Fire Inspector, and fire safety consultant. He has led the high-rise emergency preparedness industry with innovative ideas since 1985 with over 32 years experience in developing high-rise building fire codes, high-rise fire evacuation plans and site-specific training for over a 2000 high-rise building managers and staff and over 100,000 building employees worldwide.
Providing technical consulting, building emergency response team training, fire warden training, fire drills, fire alarm system training, elevator fire service phase 1 and 2 operations training, high rise building fire inspections and code enforcement, and fire prevention education.
High-Rise Staged Evacuation, the institutionalized Traditional Response to fire alarms and fire in high-rise buildings is the creation of Daniel Salazar in 1986. It was adopted by the NFPA in 1986 and is used by the most recognized disaster preparedness companies, building management, and municipalities' worldwide.
A U.S. Department of Justice certified Emergency Response to Terrorism Instructor, a member of the NFPA, and authorized as an Approved provider for all fire and life safety related essential elements for high-rise buildings by the City of Houston Fire Marshal.
Served three terms as Vice President of Policies and Procedures for the Houston High-rise Triad (September 1996 – February 1999). The Houston High-rise Triad is a partnership and cooperative relationship comprised of high-rise building and corporate management community decision makers, fire department suppression and code representatives and building department code representatives, for the purpose of promoting fire and life safety in high-rise buildings.
Served as the city of Houston Fire Department representative on the American Society of Mechanical Engineers ASME A17.1 Elevator Code Emergency Operations Sounding Board Committee for three years.
Principal contributor in the development of the city of Houston’s standardization of High-rise Fire Evacuation Plans and Procedures for high-rise office, hotels, apartment and condominium buildings in coordination with fire department tactical high-rise firefighting operations (The first known adopted Standardized High-rise Building Fire Safety Plan and Procedures for the occupants of high-rises).
Assisted in the development of numerous adopted city of Houston Fire Codes, Amendments, and High-rise Standards (1981, 1985, 1991, and 1997 editions). Daniel has consulted various large fire departments in the U.S.A., the United Kingdom and Japan since 1986.
Daniel's mission as owner of DSAL Consultants L.L.C. is to continue to protect, serve, and preserve human life in high-rise buildings from the dangers of fire. He is committed to excellence and to take fire and life safety management to unprecedented levels and is determined to prevent a resembling of 9-11 in high-rise buildings.
Houston Fire Department
August 1975 to February 14, 2002
- Captain (May 25, 1991 to February 14, 2002)
- Fire Inspector (September 16, 1985 to May 25, 1991)
- Chauffeur (August 8, 1981 to September 16, 1985)
- Firefighter P&L (August 4, 1975 to August 8, 1981)
Experience and Achievements
- Vice President, Codes and Procedures - Houston High Rise Triad (Sept. 1996 - Feb. 1999)
- High Rise Triad, Long Range Planning Committee Member
- H.F.D. Strategic Plan Planning Committee Member
- H.F.D. Accreditation Planning Committee Member
- H.F.D. Y2K Contingency Plan Planning Committee Member
- City of Houston Mayor’s Senior Informational Forum Planning Committee Member
- H.F.D. Chaplain Advisory Council Member
- Camp Janus, burned children survivors Executive Board Member and counselor (June 1994 - Jan. 1997)
- H.F.D. Public Education Section Supervisor (Sept. 1991 - Feb. 1999)
- Established the first Community Relations Division Five Year Forecast
- City of Houston Community Relations Division Finance and Accounting Administrator
- National consultant of Fire Codes, Building Codes and Life Safety Codes, specializing in high-rise emergency plans and life safety procedures
- Created the High-rise Staged Evacuation Response Procedures adopted by the N.F.P.A. and many cities with high-rise buildings worldwide (1986)
- Led the development of the High-rise Fire Safety Plan and Procedures compatible with Houston Fire Department tactical operations for building owners and managers that was standardized by the city of Houston as a requirement for all Houston High-rise buildings (1986)
- Created various Fire Codes and Fire Code Amendments adopted by the city of Houston (1986-2000)
- Led in the development of Houston Community College curriculum “High Rise Building Emergency Response Personnel Instructor” (1987)
- Assisted in the development and implementation of the “High Rise Buildings Fire Safety Features” Program computer data base (1986)
- EMT Certification
- Interview and Background Investigations Certification
- Advanced Fire Inspector Certification
- Advanced Firefighter Certification
- Terrorist First Responder Instructor Certification (March 1998 - Present)
- Advanced Methods of Teaching Certification
- Application of Fire Code Enforcement
- Officer Development
- Effective Supervision
- National Fire Academy - Community Education Leadership
- Houston Community College - Various courses in management, fire prevention, technical writing and speech
- Meritorious Service Award